Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Show Me the Money


Proverbs 22:1 (NIV) A good name is more desirable than great riches;
    
to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.


So what is in a name? Apparently names are important—
  • God called our names from the foundation of the earth.
  • God changed names to represent new character traits.
  • Look at how many baby name books are on the market.
  • There are classes to teach you how to remember names.
  • People get offended when you do not remember their name.
  • Names trigger emotions.

What do you think when you hear these names:

George W Bush? 
Christopher Columbus? 
George Washington? 
Bill Clinton? 
Jack the Ripper? 
Abraham Lincoln?

Do you remember more good or bad?


What do people think when they hear your name? Is it loaded with integrity? Have you made it a good name?

Proverbs 10:7 The name of the righteous is used in blessings, but the name of the wicked will rot.

Do people use your name as a blessing?

Proverbs 18:10 The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.

We are created in His image. Is your name safe for people?

I was an unwed mother when I had Jason. I gave him the last name of his biological father.  (Mainly because back then you did not have a choice to leave the father’s name off) This name bothered me. He did not even know Jason existed. By the time I knew I was pregnant he had gotten married.  Jason’s last name bothered me and him. He already suffered from rejection. He had to fight inadequacy, inferiority all of those unintended consequences from sin. I named him after a mighty warrior so I knew he would come into his own. He would learn to strategize. He would learn people. He would grow into the most fabulous man I knew he could become BUT I hated his last name. He came to me first. He wanted to know why his last name was different than Jenny’s and mine. I told him the whole story. He wanted a different last name.

I looked into it…it would just take a lot of paperwork, several trips downtown, some money and several months. I went to the courthouse and got started. I shared with Jason every step of the way. When it was all done we went to the courthouse, the 3 of us, to change his name.

What a momentous time. This new name meant he belonged to Jenny and me in a way he had not felt before. This name change told everyone he was not “different”, not rejected, not inferior.  The judge read all the papers, asked me lots of questions, stamped all the paperwork and then he leaned way over his desk to talk directly to Jason.

He had Jason come behind his desk and he began to talk about the importance of a name. He said, “You make your name. It doesn’t define you, you define it. You can make your name a good name. You can bring honor to your name." He talked to Jason in depth about bringing integrity to his name. About being a man of honor. About listening to his mom and living up to the standards she set. Jason said he understood and as soon as he did the judge signed the papers while Jason watched. Then he hit the desk with the gavel. It was s solemn moment that quickly turned to laughter and hugs.

So I ask, how wealthy are you?

Proverbs 22:1 (NIV) A good name is more desirable than great riches;
    to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. 



What does this have to do with intercession?

It is time to pray integrity back into the church. It is time to pray for people to take the judge’s word about how important their name is. It is time to have a name that reflects God.







No comments:

Post a Comment