Sunday, February 9, 2014

Need a Shovel for that Bitterness?

In the late 70's I met a lady who was in a wheel chair. I think she had been in an accident. She was believing for healing. I have the personality of a prophet--black and white. This, like most prophets in the Bible, used to cause me to get down on myself and life in general. Yet, here was this lady in a wheel chair who needed help for everything and she had such joy. She laughed at life. She was a delight to be around and she changed my outlook on life.

I began to intercede for her....regularly.

Fast forward 35 years to the year 2011. I was at the Farmer's Market one Sat. morning praying for the business and the people and she came on my heart so I was praying for her and there she went in her wheel chair! I took off after her. When I caught up with her I could see that physically she had declined over the years. I introduced myself. I could see her eyes and the lines in her face that she had grown bitter. The joy was not bubbling any more. I told her I had been praying for her all this time and thanked her for her bubbly joy that had changed my life. It gave me a new outlook.
She just stared at me and said, "OK" then turned her wheelchair and went the other way. 

I was somewhat deflated.

I started to walk away but I watched her praying. She stopped her chair and turned. She was weeping. God was plowing through those bitter roots and going to heal her heart. She waved as best she could.


I cried. 

It is amazing to me how much God loves us. He doesn't give up on us. Our attitude doesn't affect his love for us and it should not affect our intercession for others. I still pray for her. 

What does this have to do with intercession?

Bitterness is a deep hole. The reasons someone gets there is unimportant. Help lift them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment