Monday, December 2, 2013

God Didn't Do It--I Promise.....

So many times I hear teachings, prayers or prayer requests that blame God for a problem. If God is “doing” something to you then we should not be praying for God to take it away.  We do not serve a dualistic God and assigning him the attributes of Satan really irritates me. I love God and I see his attributes as total opposite of those Satan presents. I know I do not need to defend God or run interference but when someone talks badly about one of my friends I have to control all those old impulses.  God is not only my Lord, my Father, my Redeemer, my Savior and He is also, yes—my Friend.



None of this is to say we do not go through things—we do; but the point I am trying to make is we go through. Through is the key here.

For everything the Lord is doing in our lives, the enemy is either counterfeiting or he is coming to steal, kill and destroy. I hear things like, “God is testing me” or “God is allowing blank to happen to me.” It makes me wonder what the person really thinks about God.



I know I sound critical but I am not being critical as much as I am confused. I hear these things and then in the next breath that same person will say something like, “Please pray for blank to change.”

If you really believe God is doing blank I cannot pray—and neither should you.  It would be akin to soulish or witchcraft prayers. I am not going there and hope you are not either. If you are “learning” something then ask God what it is and go on. He is not going to hide something from you. Especially if He wants you to change something. When He wants me to change something He tells me. Maybe you are different.

“If you want to know what God wants you to do, ask him and he will gladly tell you.” James 1:5
I recently heard a pastor tell a congregation that a natural disaster was God way of getting the country’s attention. I was so hurt for the people who were listening to this. His audience had family and relatives in this country. I alternated between anger and anguish. I could not imagine how God was feeling.


I wonder what they are learning?
Another pastor I know told a friend she had cancer so God could teach her something. Really? My friend was mature enough to say, “Not my God. That is not God.”

We all go through things. God warned us. He even told us how it all got started, when Satan was cast out of Heaven. Jesus gave us example after example of how to defeat him. Paul explained about warfare.


So trusting....
We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.” 1 John 5:19

Again, we go through things. We have a lot of circumstances that the enemy would use to trip us. BUT it is not God tripping us.

Can you imagine having a little 18 month old child look to you, lovingly, excited to walk, trusting you to help them learn? Then about the time they get the hang of it you trip them? Just so they will “learn” something? No, you would not. That is abusive. God is not an abusive parent.


If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” Matthew 7:11


“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” James 1:17
“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it.” I Corinthians 10:13
Trust the one who loves you.
Pray for those you see IN a tough circumstance. 
Pray that they will see the “way of escape”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment